Friday, July 2, 2010

Third time's a charm...


I'm actually pretty tired tonight, but I MUST forge ahead. I'm currently 3-3 in the posting dept. so I can't stop now.

When I see an artist point out a flaw in a work of art/film, I can't help but see that flaw over and over again. Most times it doesn't bother me. I t actually gives me hope; that these are works of art and not magic. That they are created by human beings who are subject to flaws.

Sometimes I think that it's because an artist doesn't know how to talk about their works, that they'd rather let the work speak for itself. Pointing out a flaw is the easiest thing for them to say and the most obvious thing that they see.

I try my hardest now to point out the bad in my work. I should be my own cheerleader. If I'm not in my own corner why should any one else. Don't make it easy for the critics!

That being said, when I originally drew this page, Lt was being fired out of his tank cannon, traveling from right to left. The intention (waaay back in '03) was for the audience to "read" his face first in the panel. When I colored it in 2010, I felt that it "read" wrong. That the reader's eye is trained to read from left to right. The thought now is that the "momentum" of the drawing will lead the reader into the next page. By doing this simple flip, you'll notice that this is the one panel where his headset is on the wrong side. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment