Saturday, October 9, 2010

Nerd, 1991

This was it! The absolute last Trick-or-treating I would ever do! I was officially a teenager, and it was time to retire. The only thing stopping me from getting out of this game was One.

Last.

Score.


It was perfect: we’d hit a completely different neighborhood! If I felt any embarrassment, it was okay because no one would recognize me.

For this final outing, I went with Chuck and Matt Stephens in their neighborhood. I’m not sure what Matt was, but Chuck was a Green Beret (sporting a Red Beret, natch!) and I was a nerd (soooo ironic!) I had the wet butt-cut hair with an Alfalfa sprout sticking up in the back, nerd glasses and jacked-up pants thanks to some small suspenders.


Things were going great. Chuck’s outfit cracked me up throughout the night and still brings a smile to my face as I type this. But all good heist stories have a snag. One of the last doors we hit, was answered by a girl. Not just any girl, she was the one I had a crush on in 4th grade. Those “feelings” resurfaced after lying dormant for years (maybe 3 tops) for the minute it took for her to shovel out the candy. It was just long enough to shame me into retiring for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment