Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Mac Tonight, 1988


Like most kids, I regurgitated every thing that I watched on t.v. And I watched a LOT of t.v. (age appropriate of course.) I really liked the catchy Mac Tonight music.

According to wikipedia:
Mac Tonight
was a mascot introduced by McDonald's restaurants in 1986. He was intended to advertise McDonald's late night hours to adults. He had a crescent moon for a head, wore a suit and sunglasses, and was depicted as being a jazzy lounge singer. The name was a play on words of the song "Mack the Knife", made popular in America by Bobby Darin. The song that played over the advertisements, called "It's Mac Tonight", was also a variant on that song, but with McDonald's-themed lyrics.

I used to sing this McDonald's song around the house, so my mom thought I should be Mac Tonight for Halloween. She fabricated a foam head and covered it with cloth. On Halloween night we went to the McDonald's on North Monroe Street (not the one that's there now, but the one that used to be El Jalico) to show off my costume (and probably eat dinner. Natch.) I remember the costume netting my a free sundae. Booyah!

You can see that Uncle Jee-Jah is clearly Superman and not just a kid dressed as Superman because he has the ever important spit-curl that I was lacking five years earlier. Believe it or not, this is not the last Superman to show up on this Halloween-themed blog.

FYI- Mac Tonight was played by Doug Jones who would go on to play other "masked" characters from films like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hellboy, Pan's Labyrinth and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

No comments:

Post a Comment