Thursday, October 7, 2010

Scarecrow, 1987

It’s one thing to run around the house and think that you’re Rambo, it’s another thing to try to convince others that you’re Rambo. This was the dilemma I found myself with during Halloween, 1987. This was a time when I was Rambo obsessed. Now before I get my parents in trouble, let me clarify that I had only seen parts of Rambo First Blood Part II, and had only seen the NBC edit of First Blood. For the uninitiated, Rambo also had a line of action figures, video games and even a cartoon. He was TOTALLY kid friendly. (I wonder if author David Morrell saw any of this coin?)

I remember wanting to be either Lt. Falcon from the G.I. Joe movie or Rambo. My parents still have a black beret and olive drab handkerchief/scarf for the Lt. Falcon outfit, but I clearly remember being SUPER disappointed by not getting a SGT. Slaughter costume together for my little bro. Buying costume pieces was a lot more expensive then, than it is today.

“Plan B” was to dress up as Rambo. It was easy: Pants, boots, knife, headband.

Lose the shirt and we’re good to go.

To bad it was REALLY cold.

And Rambo DOESN’T WEAR A JACKET!

And I was REALLY scrawny. I was embarrassed and ashamed by how “unRambo” I actually was.

I gave up. Halloween was bust. The night that only comes around once a year waits for no kid. You can be sick on a Christmas or a birthday and just open your presents the next day. But not Halloween. Have you ever seen a kid walk around the neighborhood on November 1st because he was absent for Halloween? Me neither.

Thankfully, my mom had a plan C (It hadn’t occurred to me to plan past B) and I was a scarecrow: straw hat, shirt stuffed with straw. Piece of cake.

And my little brother dawned the headband and was RAMJOE! Too bad I can’t put my hands on some pics.

It was one thing to run around the house playing Rambo; thinking you looked like Rambo. It was completely different coming to terms that you’re a pale a skinny nine year old.

But this hasn’t been a problem since I’ve been “First Blood Part II” shredded.

No comments:

Post a Comment