Sunday, August 29, 2010

Oak Ridge Elementary Cafeteria, 2003


Okay. So I was still painting murals for the movie theater AFTER I was already a full-time art teacher. It was kind of my way of keeping the bridges alive and well so that we could still see free movies. That was late spring 2003. School was still in session, and word got back to my principal. Before my first year of teaching ended, my principal made it known that she wanted me to paint a mural in the new cafeteria. Not one to tell my new boss "no", I started preliminary designs. When all was said and done, the 10' by 66' mural was finished in 90 man-hours. I really thought it would be done in a weekend.

I had a professor in college, one of the few whose names I actually remember, who would tell us stories from his time as a teacher. Dr. Anderson (Art history and aesthetics) said that he was known around his high school as "the Mural Guy." When I asked him how he became known as "the Mural Guy" he had a very sensible, pedestrian answer: I painted a mural.

It really is that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment