Saturday, September 4, 2010

Superman Door, 2007






This doesn't really count as a mural because it's a painting on a door, but it's a good segue into September's "Portrait Month!" here at Plot Developments.

Local comic shop, the Cosmic Cat, was doing a charity event where they would give a door to local artist/patron a month. Once they accumulated a years worth of door, they would collect them into a calendar and sell the door for charity. They never really got enough doors so the project has been sidelined indefinitely. I was the first person to paint a door.

I figured that since comic nerds like myself would want to buy the door, I put a lot of consideration into what kind of door I would want for my office (if I still had one upstairs that is.) My door is doubled sided. Fleischer studios inspired Clark-Kent-changing-in-a-stock-room on one side, and Ta-Da! Superman racing out of the door when you opened it.

Superman on a door is hardly a mural or a portrait but it is a life-sized painting on a piece of wood which is a good starting point for portrait month.

No comments:

Post a Comment