Tuesday, July 26, 2022

New York 2022: Day 2


 *NOTE* All copied and pasted all of this text from facebook. Most of these sentences are captions accompany specific photos. If you think it “reads weird” you’re RIGHT!

Penn Bros. New York Adventure 

Day 2: 

With this being my sixth trip to the Big Apple, and the boys’ third or fourth, don’t expect to see any photos from the Big-Three-Must-See-landmarks. The days started with Betsy and me bringing back bagels for the boys. Once Betsy left for her workshop, the boys and I took the subway to our furthest destination: The Metrograph Theater down between Chinatown and the Bowery. Parker wants to see a movie there Thursday night. *Last week, I told the boys to write down ten things they’d like to see in NYC. We’d compare notes and maybe fit in three places each. Well, just like telling them to do ANY chore, they didn’t come up with anything, so I guess we’re using mine list! Yay!*From the Metrograph, we walked to a NIKE store for Dash. Parker said they had an indoor basketball court. They did, but it was closed. From there, Google told us we had an 11 minute walk to Joe’s Pizza from Spider-man 2. We were SHOCKED to discover Joe’s only takes CASH in the year 2022! Parker and I quickly abandoned our bottled drinks and of course Dash had opened his. We got our bill down to $16 but they let us get by with Parker’s fifteen. (I used the last of my cash tipping for luggage.) Parker and I were dying of thirst (much to Dash’s delight) so we hydrated after another 11 minute walk at a nearby 7-11 and relaxed in Washington Square (a tourist ”first” for me.) Another Google 11 minute walk took us to Forbidden Planet, the first comic book shop I visited back in 1996 (different location.) In an attempt to embarrass me, Dash asked a clerk if they had my issue of G.I. JOE on the stand. They didn’t, but they DID have a copy of the anniversary issue I contributed to much to HIS surprise. From there we hit Strand Bookstore and ANOTHER 11 minute walk to another NIKE store (alas no basketball court.) Another 11 minute walk got us past the FlatIron building. Unfortunately, it was covered by “construction mesh” and NOT looking it’s usual iconic best. Those innocent 11 minute walks were adding up and we were spent. We tried to take the subway back to “near” our hotel, but we giggled to our exhausted selves as the train crossed a bridge and we put some considerable distance between us and Manhattan. Hello Brooklyn! After Parker got us on a train heading LEFT, we made it back to Times Square. Silver lining: I think more memories are made by getting lost, than at the actual intended location. Parker got us into another movie: Marcel the Shell With Shoes On. This AMC is in a hundred year old building, and our auditorium was seven escalators up. The boys had McDonald’s for dinner, and I crashed with a nauseating headache. I don’t usually get headaches! Hmmm. To be continued… 

No comments:

Post a Comment